www.WESTERNMAGPIES.com

Home of the Official Collingwood Supporters Club of Western Australia

WM Forum

Forum Home > Team Selection Discussion > WCE Likely Match Ups

Azza

Should be an interesting encounter on Sunday.  What are the likely matchups do you think?  They go tall and deep in the forward line.

May 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

V

The Only 2 players that worry me right now from the WC are Natinui and Cox...we don't really have a match up for these 2 if Jolly doesn't play. I think we can cover Kennedy and Darling. Our forward line will score big and I think our midfield is better. I think it will probably come down to centre clearances IMO !  Thoughts ??

May 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Azza

I agree.  I think Kennedy and Darling can be covered by Reid and Tarrant but when you throw Lynch, Cox and Natanui in there it makes it a little tough to cover all the talls they may rotate through their forward line.  Not sure who the right match up for Lecras is but I think you are spot on about the midfield.  I think Ball is a better clearance player than Priddis and with Swan, Pendlebury and Thomas against Kerr, Shuey and Selwood, I think our best defense is to starve the forwards of supply.  Rotating the others through the midfield and the drive we should get Shaw and Davis should see us in good stead.  We haven't been playing at 100% this early in the season so that is the only thing that makes me nervous.

May 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

V

yeh agree that we haven't really been playing that well....Hopefully turn it around this week and put in a 4 Qtr effort and destroy the bastards !

May 25, 2011 at 1:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Newelly

Azza at May 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Should be an interesting encounter on Sunday.  What are the likely matchups do you think?  They go tall and deep in the forward line.

I agree Cox and Natanui are biggest concerns with Leroy and Jolly almost certain to be missing.

Think bringing Keefe into side to at least provide a tall marking option on kick ins down back will be beneficial to negate their influence. Taz should be able to hold Kennedy and Maxwell should marshall the defence to negate Darling. Doggies dropped their bundle last week in second half and have done that a bit over the last couple of years but this year the dogs are looking old and past it.

May 25, 2011 at 1:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Newelly

Azza at May 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM

I agree.  I think Kennedy and Darling can be covered by Reid and Tarrant but when you throw Lynch, Cox and Natanui in there it makes it a little tough to cover all the talls they may rotate through their forward line.  Not sure who the right match up for Lecras is but I think you are spot on about the midfield.  I think Ball is a better clearance player than Priddis and with Swan, Pendlebury and Thomas against Kerr, Shuey and Selwood, I think our best defense is to starve the forwards of supply.  Rotating the others through the midfield and the drive we should get Shaw and Davis should see us in good stead.  We haven't been playing at 100% this early in the season so that is the only thing that makes me nervous.

Think Harry O or Shaw for Lecras but Davis not out of picture either IMHO

May 25, 2011 at 2:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Azza

Judging by Pendles tweet he also thinks it is going to be quite a challenge.  One that he thinks they're up for.

May 25, 2011 at 3:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Azza

I also hears a west australian news source bang on about how West Coast pioneered the forward press.  I don't think they even made their own adjustments to Collingwoods game plan from last year...they just implemented it.  Another Worsfold success he can chalk up to Malthouse.  Anyway, I hope Mick knows a way through it.

May 25, 2011 at 3:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Newelly

media is isolated over here and the only fans that will really be vocal in opposition are dockers fans through weight of numbers. That's what they play to. Still waiting to see if Worsfold can win a flag without an out and out standout like Judd. Maybe if the standard of the AFL drops off for a season.

May 25, 2011 at 5:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

percypie

I think Keefe could be a good inclusion to play on the wet toast talls. He could come in for Goldsack. Toovey wants to play and Johnson could also be ready to play. But who do they come in for?? The so called 'fringe players ' we have are Macarthy and Buckley and both have staked claims to the team. And then theres Leigh Brown to return perhaps next week. Great competition for a place in the side. Jolly, when he returns will obviously replace Wood. I hope Swan has pulled up ok. He was very sore during the crows game.

May 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Newelly

fair to say the dogs this year have been mediocre and last week clearly didn't have their best deffence on the fields whereas ours is settled and when all else fails it tends to be the one area that can keep us in the game. Think at times this weekend our defence will be called on to hold firm and turn the tide. Likely to be a cracker of a game.

May 25, 2011 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Azza

I'm really interested to see this game.  In reality, neither team has out and out stars and its the even contribution that makes it so interesting.  In the past I think we have been able to dominate teams who rely too much on a few good players as our depth runs a lot deeper.  WCE this year seem to be getting a good contribution across the board but is their depth better than our depth?  

I just hope we wake up sooner that 20 minutes to play this week!?

May 26, 2011 at 1:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Azza

Fasolo has been named on the extended bench?  His form has been good in the VFL.  Is he a likely replacement for Swan?  Will Swan play do you think?

May 27, 2011 at 1:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Newelly

Azza at May 27, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Fasolo has been named on the extended bench?  His form has been good in the VFL.  Is he a likely replacement for Swan?  Will Swan play do you think?

Swan was there but wasn't at his best - glad we've got a bye coming up soon.

May 29, 2011 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.